Keeping yourself from stressing out in the first place is probably the best tactic. However, if you have already arrived at that stressful place, here is a list of ten techniques that you can use to bring yourself back to nirvana (or at least your living room).
1. Breathing exercises (i.e., slow rhythmic breathing can lower your blood pressure and heart rate)
2. Visualization/Guided imagery (positive thoughts such as acing an interview or relaxing on the beach can make you feel more positive and even help you achieve goals)
3. Meditation (frequently involving deep breathing combined with visualization)
4. Exercise (the endorphins that you create while exercising are natural stress relievers)
5. Progressive muscle relaxation (a combination of visualization and body awareness, this can create physical as well as mental relaxation)
6. Listen to music (music can slow your breathing, pulse, and heart rate as well as bring about a natural calm)
7. Biofeedback (using a simple electronic device, it is possible to use your body to relax your mind and vice versa)
8. Yoga (also known as “moving mediation”, can bring about mental and physical relaxation)
9. Make a To Do list (having a list can not only get your duties out of your head and on to paper, but checking them off as you go feels pretty good)
10. Pets (snuggling with cute warm fuzzies can make anyone feel better instantly)
Dr. Barrie Morganstein is a licensed psychologist at Southeast Psych in Charlotte. She sees clients of all ages.